Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Medal of Honor Luncheon

Today I had the most amazing lunch ever!
Last week I got an email from my friend Scott Faddis, who works for the State Command Sergeant Major, he asked me if I wanted to go to this luncheon with four other soldiers and hear a Medal of Honor recipient speak. I told him yes and then I didn't really think any more of it until Monday when I was told I needed to wear my Class A's because there were going to be some Legislative people there and the Governor might be there as well. I actually started to worry because I still had my Staff Sergeant rank on and I needed to change it to WOC rank. Curt got me squared away so I was good to go and not worries there.
Well today we all met up and the Command Sergeant Major and the Adjutant General and he drove us to the luncheon Downtown. When we got there, SFC Sammy Davis was there waiting for us to say hello and we all were able to get pictures with him. After pictures we all went into the lunch area and the presentation started. They started by showing a video of what SFC Davis did to earn his Medal of Honor, and by the time the video was over my eyes were glossed over with tears. He is such the most amazing soldier, person, hero that I have ever met! After the video he got up and talked to us and just shared stories with us. If you don't know who he is or heard his story, you'll need to look it up online and read about him. I couldn't do him justice by writing what he has done because I'm a horrible writer!!!!! One thing though that was really cool that I want to let you guys know is in the movie Forrest Gump when Forrest is receiving his Medal of Honor that is actually SFC Sammy Davis! For the movie they photoshop'd Tom Hanks head over Sammy Davis' into the original clip and that is what you see! After he told us that, he took off his medal and had his Grandson walk around with it so we could all touch and see it!
I wish I had the pics to post, but I don't know when I'll get them.
But please read his story so his history can live on!

1 comment:

Spencer and Mindy said...

wow liz, that is awesome! what an experience!